At the edge of the horizon

At the edge of the horizon
At the edge of Japan

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Daily Affairs

Sunday's are so nice in Ishigaki.  Especially when the weather and temperature play fair.   It's such a laid back day on a laid back island. 

Beautiful Day (without you)

Actually, Sunday is a day I do all of my prepping for the week.  It's banal stuff, but it's necessary.  I usually spend time cleaning my apartment, shopping and planning meals for the week (as well as my bento lunches as I'm not able to eat the school food due to food allergies), doing laundry, taking said laundry to the dryer and preparing my lesson plans for the upcoming week.    This was all stuff I did before I moved here on Sundays, so I guess I've fallen into a routine (minus the lesson preparation, which I didn't do before I moved here).  

Today the weather was overcast (the photo above wasn't taken today...), but the temperature was mild and it has been overall a pleasant late spring/early summer.  I really pray this lasts through the end of May, but I am certain it will heat up ever so surely.   The rainy season is now upon us and I'm trying to keep my apartment dehumidified.  My closet looks crazy with all of the desiccant products meant to keep the mold/mildew from attacking my clothing.  I don't have central heat and air, just a wall unit.  But I do have a dehumidifier which extracts the humidity in my apartment.  It's a life saver.

I've been thinking about my upcoming move to Okinawa.  I don't know where my placement will be yet and I'm a bit worried I'm going to end up at a school or BOE that isn't right for me.  I suppose it's normal to feel apprehensive.  I really want to enroll in Japanese language coursework wherever I end up.  

I can tell that I'm starting to organize a plot for an upcoming project, but I don't know what form it will take.  I'm still trying to finish the play I started last spring (stalled...) and have been thinking about what to do with the dance/texts that I created in 2008/2009 in NYC.  I want to extend them further, but take it in a completely different direction.  I'm thinking the ideas behind it may be the foundation for what I'm making in my mind right now.   

Sorry this post wasn't about anything teaching or travel related.  It's been all about me.  The next post will be about my kayaking-mountain climbing-swimming beneath a waterfall on Iriomote island.   I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment