At the edge of the horizon

At the edge of the horizon
At the edge of Japan

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Dears, the Future is Now.


The future is now.
Dears,

I've been applying to jobs and imagining my future.  After the last post, which seemed like the literary equivalent to Edvard Munch's masterpiece, I started to dig deep into how I felt in order to re-imagine the possibilities in my life.  I have to also admit that this post was inspired by this wonderful article.  By the way, I have many things to announce to you...but I shall save those for my next post.  Instead, I want to share some of the thoughts I have been meditating on in order to change my perception.  I want to say that I know that I'm not the only person affected by the current milieu in the world, especially in the US, so I know that there are many from my generation in particular who have been struggling with finding their way in this world-in-transition.  Let me tell you something I have finally figured out.  We are living great lives, even in our struggle.  I was drinking some of my favorite tea the other day, and on the tea bag's label, it stated something like "Have gratitude in your life and opportunities will arise."  I decided that was a message I needed to heed.  Here are a few others I've been thinking about lately:  These are all from issues I've had to face in my life, so don't think I'm just writing empty platitudes up here. 

Reject false models of scarcity and austerity. Create abundance in your life, even if right now you can only do it with creative thoughts. That's where it starts. To hell with feeling like you need permission to do the things you want to do during your life. If you want to go back to school to better yourself, do it. But you don't need it to have permission (unless you're getting a degree that requires licensing or certification). If you want to travel the world, do it. You don't have to be rich to do this, but you'll need a job. If you have debt, live your life as you like it as best as you can. Find ways. Don't settle. Don't buy into the systems in our society if you want to live your life freely. Question things. Read between the lines. Think critically (esp. about social problems that may affect others). Think outside of the typical mode of thought or way of communicating. Don't buy into the media's bullshit. Have empathy. Don't spread negativity. If you're feeling negatively, dig into that and try to figure out how to use that energy properly in a more positive way. Get rid of anyone who tries to hold you back with negativity or tries to control you. Stop being afraid of succeeding. Stop being afraid of failing. Stop being afraid to be who you are. Quit worrying about what others think about you. Quit focusing on other people's lives and how good they have it. If you feel envy or the beginnings of jealousy (and let's be honest, everyone has at some point), use that to better yourself, not put others down. Find out what it is that you want that others have and go after it.   Fill your heart and soul with gratitude. Give back and help others who are trying their best (do this without obligating them to you). Embrace love and kindness. Try your best to forgive (you don't need to tell the jerks who caused you pain, but you need to do this so you can move the hell on and get back up on the horse).  Let go of the past.  What's done is done.

Anything you'd like to add?

Have a nice day.





No comments:

Post a Comment