At the edge of the horizon

At the edge of the horizon
At the edge of Japan

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Spider and the Alligator

I have a jumping spider in my apartment.  This morning it came in through the front door as I was walking out.  I thought that it was a flying, or some other type of fast moving, insect. But this evening I saw it in my kitchen sink before it jumped away.  This is not going to happen.  This spider is not making a home in my apartment.

In other news today, I taught 1st grade (equivalent to 7th grade though they act more like 4th grade) and had a blast.  Their minds are all over the place, but they were trying so hard to listen and having a blast asking me questions.  I was doing my self-introduction spiel, explaining where I was from and that we have alligators there, when they became absolutely fixated on the idea of these alligators roaming throughout the land, hiding in people's kitchen sinks, bathtubs, walking around with top hats and canes, and who knows what else.  I then tried to move on to tell them where else I had lived and told them I went to university in NYC.  They were still obsessing over alligators "wani" when one of the students asked,  "wait, why did she move to NYC?"  And another student answered back, "to escape from the alligators."

I love my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment